[RTTY] Filters

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Sat Mar 27 09:20:50 EST 2004

At 10:21 AM 3/24/2004, Bill Turner wrote:

>When I'm using a 250 Hz filter, quite often when two stations are within
>10-20 Hz of each other and nearly the same strength, I can tune off to
>the side and get clear copy, something that probably would not happen
>with a wider filter.  Just something to keep in mind.

This doesn't have anything to do with the filter bandwidth, but rather the
shape.  If the shape is very "square" then you will get good rejection just
outside the passband.  If it slopes more gradually, the rejection will be
reduced.  DSP filters like in the IC-756 are very good at these sorts of
things.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC