[RTTY] DSP Book/FSK

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Mon May 10 18:54:34 EDT 2004

I had earlier alluded to a DSP book that addressed FSK, ATC and all
that, but could not find it.  It finally dawned on me that a colleague
had borrowed it.  Anyway, I just dropped by his office, and here is the
nitty gritty:

Marvin E. Frerking, "Digital Signal Processing in Communications
Systems," Chapman & Hall, NY, 1994.
ISBN 0-442-01616-6

It has a chapter on A/D Converters with sections on Quantization Nose,
Intermodulation Distortion, Sampling Time Related Distortion,
Performance Measurement, Sampling Narrowband Signals, etc.

The chapter on Data Transmission have sections on: Matched Filters,
Frequency Shift Keying, Phase Shift Keying, PSK Demodulation, QAM,
Equalizers, etc.

The section on FSK has subsections on Complex Filter FSK detection, Bit
timing, FM Discriminator FSK detection, FSK Modulators,

There is a short discussion on variable threshold detection (ATC, for
some of us) for handling fading channels. With the comment "the circuit
is effective because both tones normally do not encounter a fade at the
same time" and then analyzed the behavior of it with an example of a
case where the Space signal is normal but the Mark signal undergoes a
deep fade.

There is also an appendix on "Derivation of Error rate for Incoherent
FSK Data Transmission."

The PSK section covers the usual stuff, phase locked loops, Costas
loops, etc.

I highly recommend this book for the technically inclined.

73
Chen, W7AY