[RTTY] RIGrunner?

Jim McDonald jim at n7us.net
Mon May 31 12:32:18 EDT 2004

I'll contribute to the semi-RTTY related discussion.  I have an MFJ DC strip
with banana jacks but am thinking of switching everything over to the
Powerpoles.  Most 12V stuff runs off of power supplies directly or via the
12V strip.

This weekend I came into the shack and smelled a burning smell.  Eventually
my nose led me to a wall wart powering a keyer.  The wall wart was about
twenty years old and was quickly melting its plastic cover.  I assume the
transformer or maybe a diode shorted.  It was too hot to hold.  My wife was
less than thrilled to hear the story, since it could have just as well
happened when no one was home.

The moral of the story is to consider the DC strips and a real power supply
instead of the wall warts.

Jim N7US