[RTTY] 17" flat panel prices

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Mon Nov 8 11:30:53 EST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Bill Turner wrote:

-> Have flat panel LCD monitors been around long enough to have some
-> estimate of their expected life span?

I'm sure they outlive the laptops to which most are attached.  I have a
5-year-old laptop and the display is fine.  Surely there are folks here
that have even older laptops.

I have heard of individual pixels going dark, but I've never experienced
it myself.  I have a Sun-branded Samsung LCD at work dated 7/2000.  It
occasionally has miscolored columns of pixels, but they seem to go away on
a refresh.

There are different types of LCDs and I'm not up on the differences, but
for me $219 was low enough that I don't care.  I may even put my 19"
flat-front CRT up on eBay and replace it with another LCD ...

Peter Laws
N5UWY/9
WAC (phone)
WAS #51466 (SSB)