[RTTY] rfi?

peter jackson peter.jackson17 at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 15 09:35:43 EST 2004

Hi, I am new to RTTY and have had several problems, many stations didn't
return my calls, some said my signals were distorted. Turning down the drive
out of my sound card improved the situation but was only then running about
30watts. The power output meter was fluctuating wildly, this in my ignorance
I thought was normal. According to AA5AU excellent site this can be due to
RF getting into the computer, so armed with ferrite rings etc I set about
putting these on all the leads, but to no avail. I then found on my task bar
a creative mixer icon, double clicking on this produced on screen  similar
slider pots to Windows but with led styled signal level indicators. On some
of these were buttons marked 'Spatial' pressing these brought down a menu
which said Off, Narrow, Wide and wide was ticked. This must be for a pseudo
surround sound effect, maybe ok for sound but it was really messing up my
rtty signals. Switching it off has cleared all my problems. I submit this in
case anyone else has the same problem.
73 Pete G3KNU