[RTTY] rfi?

Andy swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Nov 15 10:32:08 EST 2004

>On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:35:43 -0100, peter jackson wrote:
>
>>I submit this in
>>case anyone else has the same problem.

>Welcome to RTTY, Pete.  In case you haven't come across this
>suggestion, please allow me to repeat it:  If at all possible, use
>direct FSK for your rig rather than AFSK.  All of those problems you
>were having would never have happened.  FSK is much more forgiving of
>the "RF in the mike" syndrome as well as audio overdriving.
>
>Hope to see you on the air.

Assuming of course that you have a rig that does FSK directly?

One additional suggestion I would make with AFSK is beware that the
first Mic audio input stage can be before the gain control.  I had
thought I had my levels set up correctly, changing the levels at the PC
seemed to change the output power so I thought it was OK.  I tried PSK31
recently and had really poor IMD, listening on the RX monitor it just
didn't sound right.  I started fiddling with the attenuation I was
applying at the rig mic socket and it seems I had been very much
overdriving it.  It didn't seem to affect RTTY as much but that now
sounds much sweeter too (I've been running overdriven for a year :-(

Cheers
Andy
gm8oeg