[RTTY] Turtle Beach Santa Cruz problem?

Ford, Steve, WB8IMY sford at arrl.org
Wed Nov 24 09:22:51 EST 2004

Art:

I also have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card and experienced a problem that might be related to what you are seeing.

In my case, after I installed the card, the PC would not reboot after it had been operating for more than about 20 minutes. If I removed the Santa Cruz, it would reboot normally (and continue to reboot normally, no matter how long it was operating).

As far as I was able to tell, the sound card was NOT otherwise defective. After a careful examination of the motherboard, I discovered that the chipset cooling fan was not running (this is the tiny fan that some motherboards use, not to be confused with the CPU fan). I replaced the fan.

I also noticed that my PC was using a 300-W power supply. With my new Santa Cruz card, combined with a high-end video card and some other toys, I suspected that the power supply might not be up to snuff. So, I replaced it with a 500-W unit.

After those two operations, the Santa Cruz has worked perfectly and there have been no rebooting problems to date.

73 . . . Steve, WB8IMY