[RTTY] Filters for an ICOM 706

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 1 19:35:14 EDT 2004

I concur with Tony.  Go with the 250 hz filter instead of the 350 hz filter
though.  I use the 250 hz filter in my '775DSP and it's perfect for RTTY
contesting.  I only take it off to see if there is anyone close to my frequency.

And this brings up an important point.  The 250 filter is so good that you could
be CQ'ing your ass off and not getting any replies because some STRONG station
is sitting a few hz away banging away as well.

Which brings up another point away from the subject.  Running a KW this past
weekend and STILL couldn't believe how many stations butted up against me.  I
was half tempted to "slide" dead onto their CQ frequency and start calling CQ
but I'm a better sport than that (I hope).  I simply moved although I didn't
have to move too often.

One multi station in EU kept chasing me around on 15 and getting right up next
too me to point where he was messing me up on my receive despite the 250 hz
filter.  It wasn't bad at times because I realized that stations in EU were not
hearing him but the clicks did bother my receive.  Eventually I lost him, but
they were a pain the butt.

Luckily I didn't start drinking beer until the last 2 hours or I would have slid
right on top of them and hit the Auto CQ button.  Man, I hate being a nice guy
some times!!!

73, Don