[RTTY] Anyone using FT847 on RTTY?

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Sat Oct 9 07:46:10 EDT 2004

Jerry,

I have had to use my FT847 during contests while my IC756proII was in the
shop. It does work. But it is pretty bad in comparison to what we are used
to. However, in a camper it would be fun.

You need to use the Data connector. Standard AFSK tones (2125, 2295) work
just fine. But you need a little adaptor box to bring the PTT signal into
the Data ln line so that the microphone is cut off. The only filtering is
thru the DSP unit so you can narrrow the pass band some what. Just use
standard LSB settings.

I have used this during several contests and for rtty on AO-40 as well as
the same setting works on PSK-31 experiment on AO-51.

An external audio filter would be nice also.

Jerry, W6IHG

At 03:37 PM 10/8/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Any tips on using a Yaesu FT847 rig on HF RTTY? I see it doesn't support
>FSK, and looks like I can't even use the narrow CW filter in SSB rx mode.
>
>I guess I am limited to AFSK low tones with no narrow filter?
>
>All my RTTY experience is with FSK and narrow filters. How well does the
>simple hookup to the sound card work with conventional 2KHz SSB passband
>in a contest environment? Is there any way to use the CW filter?
>
>Reason: I have an FT847 I bought years ago as a satellite rig that is not
>being used and I am putting it in my camper so I can operate an occasional
>RTTY contest when on the road. We take trips lasting 8-12 weeks and I hate
>to miss out on contesting that long.
>

>Jerry W4UK

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton at shentel.net