[RTTY] DESREVER

Richard Ferch ve3iay at rac.ca
Sat Oct 16 11:23:06 EDT 2004

At 09:35 AM 16/10/2004, FireBrick wrote:
>hmmmm, that's not been my experience at all Richard.
>I use a FT1000MP which has a menu bug. You have to set the menu to
>'reverse' for it to send FSK right side up.
>Now I do use MMTTY, both stand alone and as the decoder in Writelog.
>The only way I can see for it to get out of whack is if you accidentally
>(or intentionally) click on the Reverse Button.
>
>Please correct me but I've thought that MMTTY reverse button changes BOTH
>transmit and recieve.
>At least when I'd had to use it to connect with someone who was inverted,
>I THOUGHT it did.

Hi Bill,

If you are using AFSK, when you press the "Rev" button in MMTTY it changes
both TX and RX, so your TX and RX do indeed stay in sync with each other.
However, if you are using TxD to key FSK with MMTTY, the "Rev" button only
changes the RX.

Here is a direct quote from the MMTTY Help file: "With FSK, the Rev button
on the main menu has no effect on the shift of TxD. You can receive someone
who is using reverse-shift, but you cannot transmit reverse-shift." To be
precise, the last phrase should really read "..., but if the hardware is
properly adjusted to send normal shift you cannot transmit reverse-shift."
If the hardware is improperly adjusted you cannot transmit normal shift!

I wouldn't call the situation with your FT1000MP menu a bug, exactly. The
designers had to pick one of MARK and SPACE for the tone to send when the
keying input is shorted (and of course, the other one is sent when it is
open). As it happens, the Yaesu and Kenwood designers (TenTec too??) picked
closed = SPACE and open = MARK as their default convention.

The COM port hardware (UART) output from TxD is fixed; it is current on =
MARK and current off = SPACE. If you use an inverting keying circuit like
the one-transistor circuit in the Help file, current on = closed, which is
the opposite polarity from the one the Yaesu and Kenwood radio designers
designed for. You can fix this either by using a non-inverting keying
circuit (e.g. a common-base switch instead of the usual common-emitter
circuit), or by using the radio's menu item to switch the radio's keying
polarity.

There is yet another option with MMTTY: you can use the EXTFSK dll instead
of the COM port's UART to control the keying line (as an added bonus, with
EXTFSK, you can key from any of TxD, DTR and RTS either from a real COM
port or from a USB serial adapter). With EXTFSK the software has complete
control over the polarity of the output, so you can adjust the polarity
switching in software. However, you cannot change the transmit polarity in
software if it's a UART that is controlling the TxD keying signal. Clear as
mud?

73,
Rich VE3IAY