[RTTY] Thoughts on the JARTS contest

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Oct 18 13:40:05 EDT 2004

Hi again!

I had a few problems with folk calling me during an exchange, when it was
quite clear an exchange was taking place. This resulted in me not being
overly sure I had worked Richard 9M2/G4ZFE on 40m, and it wasn't the fault
of all the calls new to RTTY either!

Quite a few logs will be penalised for having ME in their log, when I was
working someone else!
For example, I would call station A; station B calls me, then takes takes
the response from station A as being FROM me to HIM. Station B then says TNX
GU0SUP, and station A asks me to repeat my exchange!

I didn't even bother trying to engage in the unruly pile-ups for TX9 and
VK9LA on 20m! I have to wonder whether trying to work split in a contest is
that wise, especially if they weren't playing in the contest. At least S79SO
had a go!
And if one more person had asked the cluster "what DXCC is TX9?" I think I
would have blown a gasket!

And how many saw a particular station keep asking the ages of folk on the
cluster? And the one that kept asking WHAT IS JARTS?

Late on Sunday evening, Nik 9A5W asked me to QSY to 80m for a contact, which
I was pleased to do, as it would be my only 5-band'er!
After working him, I looked around to see if there were any other mults
about, and found one poor DL trying to CQ on 3598. Then came a reply, but it
wasn't a contest QSO! It was total abuse from a station who would not give
his call, but did admit he was trying to have a QSO on LSB on 3600! he just
kept sending QSY.................. I WON'T LET YOU MAKE QSO - QSY QSYetc
etc.

There was plenty of deliberate QRM on 40m, which isn't unusual, but also on
20 and 15. There were a few stations around 21100 to 21130, and even these
kept getting the "ditter's".

Despite all that, it was a great contest, and I enjoyed it immensely.

73 all
Phil GU0SUP

---