[RTTY] RE: JARTS Contest and operator age

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Tue Oct 19 14:41:28 EDT 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 10:18 AM, Phil Cooper wrote:
> Actually, the average isn't that meaningful anyway, and one should go
> by the
> MEAN age, which happened to be reasonably similar for most of us.

Phil, do you mean the "median" age?

"Average" is synonymous with the (unweighted) "mean."  (Sum of samples
divided by number of samples)

"Median" is when you line up all the samples in ascending order and is
equal to the value of the sample smack at middle the list.

A nonuniform density function (as is the case with age, whether hams or
the general baby boomer anomaly) can cause the mean and the median to
be wildly different.

I suspect that in addition to the 50-59 generation coming off the baby
boom, there is also some contribution due to being the right age to get
hooked on radio when the Sputnik craze hit (.... .. .... .. .... ..).

I put the blame on you guys.  Afterall, Sir Bernard Lovell was the one
who started DX'ing Sputniks at Jodrell Bank :-).

73
Chen, W7AY