[RTTY] Solar Minimum

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 19 19:17:10 EDT 2004

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/18oct_solarminimum.htm?friend

Many of may have already seen this but I found it interesting.  The person who
sent it to me thought it was bad news that the Solar Minimum was coming early.
But I see it as a good sign because the article goes on to say that this means
the Solar Maximum should also come earlier than expected.  Quoting the article:

"The most recent solar maximum was in late 2000. The first spotless day after
that was Jan 28, 2004. So, using Hathaway and Wilson's simple rule, solar
minimum should arrive in late 2006. That's about a year earlier than previously
thought.

The next solar maximum might come early, too, says Hathaway. "Solar activity
intensifies rapidly after solar minimum. In recent cycles, Solar Max has
followed Solar Min by just 4 years." Do the math: 2006 + 4 years = 2010."

Start planning those RTTY contest Dxpeditions for 2010!

73, Don