[RTTY] Earlier Solar Minimum

Thomas Giella KN4LF kn4lf at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Oct 20 10:02:03 EDT 2004

Virtually all forecasts of solar maximum and minimum are incorrect. The average sunspot cycle is 11 years but it varies from 9 to 14 years and we still do not know why. So this variation ruins the best intended forecast.

I for one would welcome solar minimum arriving one year earlier because that means that geomagnetic storming due to recurrent coronal holes would end sooner. Geomagnetic storming from coronal holes is much more prevalent on the down side of a solar cycle then on the up side.

73,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL, USA
Grid Square EL87WX
Lat & Long 27 58 33.6397 N 82 09 52.4052 W
kn4lf at arrl.net

KN4LF Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive: http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm
KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com

---