[RTTY] USB to Serial adapters

WI8W wi8w at wi8w.org
Wed Sep 22 17:03:36 EDT 2004

Ok folks it has come down to this.  I am off of RTTY until I get a solution.

I need to find a USB to Serial adapter that will allow me to use true
FSK and do radio control on my Yeasu FT-920.

Yes, I have been to the rttycontesting.com site and read Don's article
on the subject.

My new HP laptop (a ZD7058cl) has 4 USB ports and no serial ports.  This
computer is now the main computer in the shack.  It runs Windows XP home
edition.

I do not have the money to try every adapter listed on the website.  I
need to find one that works as I have no way to operate RTTY until I do.
  I need to buy something and it has to be guaranteed to work.

I currently own a Belkin F5U409 that does not work at all for either rig
control or FSK.  In fact if I even plug it into one of the USB ports
both Writelog and Logger 32 lock up the computer.  I have to remove
external power and the battery to unlock the machine.

Damn,  do I hate USB.

Any help greatly appreciated.

73

Thom WI8W