[RTTY] USB to Serial adapters

Jeff Stai WK6I wk6i at twistedoak.com
Wed Sep 22 21:36:12 EDT 2004

At 04:18 PM 9/22/2004, John Fleming wrote:
>> Damn,  do I hate USB.
>
>Thom, I don't want to sound mean, really, but I have to wonder why hams buy
>stuff that doesn't have what they need and then struggle so with trying to
>recover.  Dell, for example, makes some nice laptops that HAVE serial ports.
>When I shopped for laptops, I looked specifically for serial ports, and I
>even took a disk into a retail store and ran the WriteLog SoundCheck program
>on it to make sure it scored the highest score.  HI  That said, it seems
>like the MicroHam interface is getting good reviews.  Good luck - 73, John

hi John - I also don't want to sound mean - but I found reasons to be deeply
disappointed in my fairly new Dell laptop, which was purchased because it
was a model that had a serial port, not to mention vast tracts of screen
space (Inspiron 8600).

I have been working on getting SO2R going for the first time for the WW.
This laptop does not have a "Line In" input, only a microphone input - which
is not stereo. Therefore, I have no way of getting two sound channels into
this laptop to run both radios....

My current solution is side-by-side laptops networked and each running their
own rig - barely have the space for that...

I think I am going to get one of those little desktop chassis boxes and
build up a shack system from scratch!

73 - jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai               jds at twistedoak.com
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/