[RTTY] Operating practices in CQWW

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Sep 27 13:44:58 EDT 2004

Hi all,

Just a few observations prior (and seperate) to posting my claimed score.

I too noted a large number of 3 X 3 or 2 X 3 calls going on, and not all
were new to the RTTY game!
I can accept there are times when a 1 X 2 or 1 X 3 call is needed, usually
when there are two stations occupying the same bit of band-space, but for
the most part, the other station ought to know his own call.

During my stint of S&P, there were lots of stations calling ME when I was
receiving a report from someone else, some of which may well have caused me
to lose a few points.
In view of this, I found a clear spot and called CQ. Almost nothing came
back to me!

During one bit of S&P, I found KH7X on 20m, and he had a large pile, so I
watched for a bit first, and saw him work an LX station, and he said he was
also on 15m. I thought I would try there too, so went up and just watched
for a while.
He got called by an SP station, who then gave him name, QTH, working
conditions etc!
Once he had finished, I was humbled to see KH7X give out the op's name, QTH
and thank him for the QSO.
Now, that is what I call manners! Well done KH7X.
I did work him on 15m, but his reply was blasted by a UA calling me, so I am
just hoping it was a good QSO.
I also bagged him on 20m shortly after.

Sad to note the lack of FL stations, and my thoughts are with those guys.

73 for now
Phil GU0SUP