(Re: [RTTY] QSO B4) + CQ'ing tip + 7S2E + Makrothen

f6irf at free.fr f6irf at free.fr
Mon Sep 27 15:43:39 EDT 2004

Quoting w2nra at optonline.net:

> Patrick wrote:
> > Fully agree with Bob: nothing more annoying and useless than "QSO
> > B4" especialy with Cabrillo logs...
>
> Thanks, Patrick, for the tip.  This was my first RTTY contest and it happened
> to me.

Tnx Art... you are welcome...

Another general purpose suggestion...
It seems to be many people who do not realize how useful it is to insert a CQ at
the end of a CQ-seq...
Why is it so useful?
Because when I tune to your signal, I generaly already missed the first
characters before I get the sync, so I do not know if you are CQ'ing or
replying to somebody's CQ...
ie S&P'ing I get : OKU G3OKU G3OKU K
No way I can know if you are CQ'ing or calling someone else...(the worst being
BK at the end - for me BK assumes a QSO is already engaged... so if I am in a
hurry I just mark the frq in bandmap and move to the next signal - I may come
back later if I have nothing better to do... but if you are not a multiplier, I
may not!)

Now if I get OKU G3OKU G3OKU CQ (or TEST... but 4 characters instead of 2) I
sure know that you are calling and I can press "MYCALL" macro immediately... no
time wasted...

Believe it or not, but at the end of the contest it will really make a
difference on your rates...

The same apply to the call repeated after the report... (repeating the call
after the report you have more chances to get it through - after the "change
over" QRM ...) ie G3OKU 599 14 G3OKU (the essential in this message is G3OKU...
if I am F6IRF i am in zone 14 - isn't it? - if I need a longer one I will pass
more G3OKU )- If I hear HGBXVJK(qrm for other stations calling you)TOO 14 14 14
14 BK I don' t know if it is for me or not... if I just pick up HGBXVJKTOO 14
F6IRF... I'm sure it is for me...

Someone who really seem to learn quickly  is 7S2E / SM2DMU
Total: 1793  4335      125     246    89  Total Score = 1,994,100
QUOTE
"I started with RTTY contesting in January this year (ARRL RU) and although I
have been a contest fan for many years, running CW and SSB, I am getting more
and more hooked on RTTY."
UNQUOTE

Well done Rainer... and congratulations for the really nice antenna setup
( http://www.7s2e.sk2kw.se )

By the way it seems to be a RTTY-virus around and I also got it! (really started
in 2003, but more and more hooked... was "CW-only" B4)!

To all:
See you in the Makrothen...
By the way if you are a N1MM user (even casual), please fill-in the "new feature
request" on N1MM site, to get the MCT contest module released ...
I assume that more requests they receive, more priority this new feature will
receive...