[RTTY] Friend.ini and SOAB

Roger Cooke rcooke at g3ldi.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 15:47:26 EDT 2004

Hi.

Just read some of the mail regarding the Friend file - or as some
would have it, the "Fiend" file!

I can see both sides of the argument, but for me, the friend file and
using it as far as my
call is concerned, does confirm to me that it is ME the station is
talking to. If conditions
are marginal, the call can get garbled. My call is constantly getting
confused with G3TDI, and
G3WDI. I lost count of the amount of times this happened on the last
80 meter only entry that
I sent in for the CQ WW contest. On that band, the static plays hell
with RTTY and also we have
in Europe those that think they have a right to the RTTY segment for
SSB, Packet, Pactor, and
CW as well, so contention with all that QRM is constant. I would think
I will lose a lot of
credits as some of the DX I worked will put the other calls in the
log. This is the problem
with using Super Partial checking. I am hoping this will decrease with
the amount of times that
I enter contests, but as I have only seriously started this year, it
will take time!

  So, seeing HI ROGER, confirms to me that he has the call correct.
How much time did you
waste by sending 599 in the contest? This is totally superfluous as
everybody sends 599 - absolutely
menaingless! If we all had to send a CORRECT signal report, it would
actually mean something, but
then again it would  S L O W things down would it not? Sending TU or
73 does exactly the same, wastes
time. But for the real dedicated contest only fellas it makes sense,
as every second adds up, as has
been demonstrated. However, I like to think we are still a polite and
gentlemanly crowd.

  The point is that we all enjoy the contest, in whatever way we
operate. Perhaps we should have a
file of those that would like to be "excluded" as well as those that
are "included". However, please
make sure it is G3LDI when you talk to me, and not TDI or WDI. I am
sure they must get fed up with
the same situation!!

  I saw on TV the other night a program about the UK Homeless and one
comment from one man sleeping on
the street stuck in my mind. He said in response to one question,
"Sure it is nice to be important, but
it is more important to be nice".    I guess I am in the second
category!

  I just noticed that I sent in my first comments with SOAB and it
should have been SOSB, but then that
would have been obvious - I hope!

73 de Roger G3LDI
rcooke at g3ldi.freeserve.co.uk