[RTTY] TS570 with afsk

Dick Kriss, AA5VU aa5vu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 27 12:43:41 EDT 2005

Peter,

I have been using a TS-570 in AFSK mode for both RTTY and PKS for some time
and it works great.

FYI, I show little (or no) power output on an external power meter sending a
stream of RTTY RYRYRYRYRY's (to dummy load) with the TS-570 Menu Option 33
set to 0. This is normal as the zero Menu 33 option means OFF.  The power
meter shows about 25 watts with Menu 33 set to option "1" and full power 100
watts with Menu 33 set to option "2" with "No" ALC action in either.

It sounds to me like they may have some sound card or software problems
generating clean audio to the TS-570.  Trashy audio input can show up as
ALC.  Reducing the input drive level to the TS-570 will reduce the power out
but does not compensate for a trashy input signal.  They probably need to
first clean up (adjust) the audio output from the sound card before changing
to FSK.

Please have them contact me direct with more information on their setup and
I will try to help or refer them to someone on the TS-570 reflector with a
similar setup.  They should be able to reach full power with little or no
ALC showing on the S-Meter.

Dick, AA5VU