[RTTY] first RTTY CONTEST

Russmill47@aol.com Russmill47 at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 14:41:35 EDT 2005

Hisami,

I looked in my earliest copies of RTTY Journal to see if I could find the
answer to your interesting question.

The September 1967 RTTY Journal talks about the 7th World Wide RTTY
Sweepstakes sponsored by CARTG, the Canadian Amateur Radio Teletype Group.

There is mention of the Annual BARTG Contest in February 1968 RTTY  Journal
and John GW4SKA just confirmed that it started in  1965.

RTTY Journal, from November 1967, describes the 3rd Annual Volta RTTY DX
Contest.

The April 1969 RTTY Journal details the first RTTY WAE Contest, sponsored  by
DARC.

In 1969, CQ Electronics Magazine of Italy sponsored a Giant RTTY Flash
Contest.

The first World RTTY Championship, which combined the results of the BARTG,
DARC, CARTG, VOLTA and Giant RTTY Flash Contests, took place in 1969.

So, CARTG was the first.   BARTG is the longest running RTTY  Contest.

Back in 1967, Jean FG7XT, was tops on the RTTY DX Honor Roll with 75
countries worked and 61 countries confirmed.  ON4BX, I1KG, W3KV, and W4AIS  were the
other top stations.

ON4BX was the first station to win RTTY DXCC, issued by RTTY Journal,  not
ARRL in 1971.

That's today's tour of RTTY Memory Lane.

73,

Russ WA3FRP