[RTTY] RTTY on Six Meters

Jeff Stai WK6I wk6i at twistedoak.com
Thu Dec 1 14:58:19 EST 2005

caveat: I have never made a PSK or RTTY contact on 6. Would like to do
so one of these days, however. I do have a fair amount of experience
on 6 in general...

The fact is that during a domestic opening the general listening will
be .125 to .150 or so, with occasional CW forays to .090-.100, then on
up past .200, if the opening persists. For domestic, the .100-.125 DX
window range is avoided. Some CW will be heard near and above .125

A typical DX opening will occupy .090-.150, with both SSB and CW found
above .100 (note that it is CW -only- between .080 and .100, with
beacons below .080 and no general operating down there)

Thus, anyone who wants to be heard in any mode will be most successful
in these ranges. I would say that if people are congregating around
.150 for RTTY, that represents a trend that should be supported. There
may be some griping from the phone guys but I wouldn't worry about
that too much other than taking the appropriate care not to interfere
with others - including QSY when a phone signal starts to fade in on you.

I would NOT operate RTTY on .125 however - that is the domestic SSB
calling frequency. It would be correct, however, to announce there on
phone that you are calling RTTY on .154, for example. The etiquette is
to not park on .125 and run - but it happens fairly often so just slip
your brief announcement between CQs.

The same guidelines would apply to the DX calling frequency at .110
during a DX opening. Since DX openings are rare, I would urge you to
use any and all modes to complete contacts and put RTTY aside. The
heavy QSB during a DX opening often makes CW the mode of choice.

Putting RTTY all the way up at .700 sounds silly. Most 6 ops are
interested in making contacts in any mode that presents itself and are
not going to be cruising up that high (exception: AM signals at .400,
if the opening is strong and persistent). The antenna limitation you
cited applies to most everyone else and that is another reason why
.700 is impractical.

Regarding .290 and PSK - I have heard of PSK activity there in
general, but I would also try it lower as well. A lot of ops will
recognize a PSK signal when they tune across it and change modes
accordingly - well, I would anyway...;-)

Hope this helps! - jeff wk6i (CM98)

Jeff Stai               jds at twistedoak.com
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/
Rocketry Org. of CA     http://www.rocstock.org/
Amateur Radio           WK6I ~ Calaveras County, CA