[RTTY] ARRL RTTY Round-Up Rules - QUESTIONs about band changes, etc.

Richard Ferch ve3iay at rac.ca
Sat Dec 10 18:00:47 EST 2005

Barry W2UP wrote:

>The M/S scores SHOULD be lower than the single-op scores with that band
>change restriction in place.  In this contest, unlike most contests, mults
>count once, not per band.  Therefore, the primary use of a secxond radio
>is to get additional QSOs, not additional mults.
>
>Several years ago, ARRL added the U category to SS for single op +
>packet.  Prior to that, there were a slot of packet cheaters enetering as
>single-op.  Should an Unlimited (SO+packet) category be added to
>Roundup?  Is there sufficient interest?  Personally, I operate most
>contests with packet, but not this one, as there's really very few
>multipliers to chase via packet spots.
>
>73,
>Barry W2UP

Thanks for pointing that out, Barry. Note that "the primary use of a second
radio..." WOULD BE "...to get additional QSOs" - the point is that the
rules do not permit such a second radio.

I'm not sure that adding an unlimited category would make much difference,
unless it is needed to combat packet cheating, for which there does not
seem to be much incentive anyway. What would make a larger difference from
my point of view would be to add a multi-two category, which might entice
some larger group efforts.

Personally, however, I was not suggesting a change - I was just pointing
out that this particular contest is not attractive for multi-operator
groups. So be it - I'm all for diversity in contest rules, it's what gives
each contest its own particular character.

73,
Rich VE3IAY