[RTTY] Value of Icom Rigs with RTTY Decoders

Andrei Nevis v49a at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 17:05:59 EST 2005

I am using PRO-3 as a primary Radio since January 2005.
  I bought it after I read the comments from Don, AA5AU.
  I am happy to have a decoder there, it is a good backup, sometime MMTTY can't help much.
  Also that TPF feature is good I set it up as Don described and never change it since.
  Just be carefull, when you connect PRO-3 with older Amplifier, I did blew it up when I connected Radio to Kenwood TL-922.
  Then I fixed it and bought Ameritrone interface, it works very good after that.
  73's Andrei EW1AR-NC2N

Jerry Flanders <jeflanders at comcast.net> wrote:
  At 17:32 12/20/2005, Dick Kriss, AA5VU wrote:
> ...What good is a rig with a RTTY decoder only? I don't see the
>need or appreciate the value of a built-in decoder ...

My RTTY contesting rig is the ICOM 756PRO. It also has built-in RTTY
decoding (but no direct TX support).

I use the RTTY decode screen as a back-up decoder, and was pleasantly
surprised to find that it usually outperforms my other TUs (I use
MMTTY plug-in with Writelog). On really difficult sigs, I sometimes
have to read the exchange from the 756 and type it into WL.

A friend across town has a 756PRO3. He has never had a RTTY Q in 50
years on the bands, but often "reads the mail" on his rig's RTTY decode screen.

Jerry W4UK