[RTTY] Radio interference problem

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Tue Dec 27 22:18:07 EST 2005

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 06:45 PM 12/27/2005, K8JWT wrote:
>I am receiving interference from my computer monitor mainly in the
>20 meter band that almost obliterates the PSK-31/RTTY section of the
>band. I have tried the available chokes from Radio Shack with no
>improvement. This interference also effects 15meters slightly. No
>problems with 40 or 80 meters.
>
>Monitor is about 4 feet away from the radio/tuner setup with cables
>for each seperated as well as possible. Monitor is almost brand new
>CRT type. I have returned to point of purchase for exchange which
>they did but the problem persists.

Some things to try:

1. Change the monitor refresh rate. This won't stop the radiation but
it may move it to a frequency that does not interfere.

2. How far is the antenna from the monitor? Can you move it farther?

3. Get a flat panel type monitor. This is generally the best
solution, unfortunately. ($$$)

73, Bill W6WRT