[RTTY] ARRL RTTY Roundup and 10 meters

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 31 16:37:17 EST 2005

Terry's idea of checking 10 meters at the top of the hour is an excellent one.
It's something I normally do anyway.  As fact, I normally check it on the half
hour as well.

The main problem with 10 meters in the Roundup in this part of the cycle is that
RU is a rate contest.  Unless there are LOTS of stations to warrant staying on
10 meters, people just aren't going to stay there.  Even SO2R ops will tend to
stay on 15 and 20 and go for rate during the daylight hours.

I would normally start this contest on 10 and 15 meters.  But last year I
started on 15 and 20 and will probably do the same this year.  The first hour of
this contest is almost the most important.  If you are SO2R and don't have 100
Q's at the end of the first hour (low power), you've fallen way behind.  For me,
if I have 100 Q's at the end of the first hour, I feel like I'm in a groove
enough to jump to 10 and check for signals at the top of the hour.

Hopefully ten will be good enough to run some rate.  Hope so.  Last year 15 was
very poor here and I about worked 20 out many hours before the end of the
contest.

Another thing to think about is going to 40 and 80 early.  If 10 and 15 are as
bad as they were last year, then you have to go to 40 a couple of hours well
before sunset.  East coast ops do this anyway.  But the rest of us normally wait
for JA's on 15.  That may not be a good idea this year.

73, Don