[RTTY] [Fwd: [SECC] CW Sprint vs RTTY Contest QRM]

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 8 00:23:10 EST 2005

Unfortunately the WPX RTTY contest is one of the most popular RTTY contests of
the year and there is a premium on 40 (and 80) meter DX contacts during this
contest (double points for all 40 & 80 meter contacts).  And most of the DX is
going to be found on the lower end at the same time the CW Sprint is going on.
So there are going to be RTTY signals from 7030 all the way up the band past
7050 Khz and maybe all the way to 7060.

It's just going to be a battle as it usually is.  When QRM comes, you just have
to move and try to be considerate of the other mode operators.  However, past
experience tells me that the CW guys aren't going to find any open spots above
7030 unless they run some very tight filters.  It's going to be wall to wall
RTTY.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic, but there's nothing that can be
done about it.

Knowing the Sprint is going on will probably encourage me to operate a little
higher in the band but I'll be banging away below 7050 as much as I can.  The
points are just too valuable to give up.

That's my nickel on it.

73, Don AA5AU