[RTTY] "Rookie" Category?

scarroll at mchsi.com scarroll at mchsi.com
Wed Feb 16 11:45:09 EST 2005

There's no doubt this topic will stir up some controversy from every point of
view, but what he heck I'm game. So here goes...

I was somewhat disappointed to read the classification for the "Rookie"
category in the CQ WPX (and I'm sure others as well). "... someone licensed
less than 3 years..." What about the ham who's just starting out in this mode
and/or never done RTTY contesting, wouldn't that person be a rookie? It's
confusing, because if I were to use the same logic, then someone licensed for
20+ years should have to compete in the "Expert" category, right? But,
the "Expert" category is based on experience (namely a proven 'Top 10'
competitor). So, shouldn't the "Rookie" category be based on in-experience?

Just thought I'd shake things up a bit... I've got my fire-retardant suit on,
so FLAME ON !!!

73, Steve - K2SC