Re: [RTTY] ÄRTTYÅ ORION Rtty experience?

Jan Palmquist jan.palmquist at mailbox.swipnet.se
Fri Feb 25 14:54:17 EST 2005

Hi Neal,

I ordered them all 250, 500 and 1800 Hz.

I am not convinced it was necessary, the standard 1000 Hz
filter does a very good job together with the DSP.
If I wanted to save I would only buy the 500 Hz. I run
very little SSB, almost only CW and RTTY.
I suppose the 250Hz filter is great on 160m CW DX which
I don't do in my noisy enviroment.

The roofing filters are automatically selected when you adjust
the bandwidth control. Bandwidth is controlled by a rotary
knob down to 100 Hz, very user friendly, and the right
roofing filter is always in circuit. Active roofing filter is
indicated on the screen. Around 200 Hz bandwidth seems to be
a good value in RTTY contest.

A nice feature in Orion it the possibility to adjust the
roofing filter passband independent for each filter. It's
a piece a cake to center the 250 Hz filter for RTTY.

A thing to consider is that the dynamic range figures
are lower with the 250 and 500 Hz filter than the 1000 Hz.
To compensate for the loss in the narrow filters an extra
amplifier is used that lowers the figures. This is described
at Sherwood home page: http://www.sherweng.com/presentation.html
. I have not noticed any degrade performance, I think the
radio performes very well. And you still have to option
to disconnect the filters temporary from a menu.

You can choose from Tentec or IR-filters for about the
same price.

73's de Jan - SM5FUG