[RTTY] NAQP RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 27 01:02:43 EST 2005

Man, was that fun or what???

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

   80:  137    48
   40:  235    54
   20:  240    53
   15:  121    43
   10:    6     4
-------------------
Total:  739   202  Total Score = 149,278

Club:

Team:

Comments:

It was an interesting contest.  Conditions on 15 were not that great which kind
of hurt.  To make it worse, 10 was just plain bad.  I checked 10 often and even
called CQ a few times, but there just wasn't anything going.  I tried to move a
couple of stations there but it never worked.

20 meters was good and 40 was just as good as 20 as my results show.  80 was
pretty good, better than 15 was, but I could never get any good runs going there
so I was mostly S&P on 80.

I took a dinner break at 0000Z and took the last hour off for rest periods.  15
sputtered early so I went to 40 to find it had already started.  But I had to
deal with the 40/20 interference between the two radios for over an hour.  I did
move KC7OPD in MT to 15 at 2335Z so the band was still open to the west, but
everyone had already vacated the band.  I never did check 20 after coming back
at 0100Z.  I should have looked for KH6GMP, but I wanted the multipliers on 80
instead.

I worked my butt off in this one.  And never got tired.  I was fired up from the
start and I even hated taking that hour off for dinner - but Shay was happy!

I think NT6K and 8P2K were my only 5-banders - thanks!

There was a LOT of competition in this one - Tyler K3MM, Dean 8P2K, Steve AI9T,
Dave K6LL, Charlie KI5XP and a lot of others.  I missed my own teammate W4UK &
the SC mult on both 15 and 20 meters!  Jerry and I tried 14095 at one time but I
never heard him.  Moving stations became frutile so I decided to just go for max
rate although I never could get runs on both radios at the same time.  So it was
mostly CQ on one radio and S&P on the other - that worked best this year as did
the very short exchanges from almost everyone.  Thanks!

Not much DX in this one but JM1XCW did call in on 20 at 2258Z, worked PY2SRB on
a couple of bands and ON5GM surprised me on 15 meters at 2134Z with my beam to
the west!  DH8WR/HC2 was in there too.

VO1HP & VE4YU were nice surprises on 3 bands each.  Where was VE5?

Missed VT, DE, ND, PE, NWT, YT and NU.  Where was VT!  GA was tough again this
year as I missed that state on 20 and 40.

Overall I guess I did well, but I don't feel like it.  I should be happy that I
broke the NAQP RTTY record, but something tells me it's not going to be enough.

The IC-756PROIII's proved once again to be SUPER RTTY contest radios.  The PRO
III's along with what appeared to be all-time high participation are the main
factors in the best score I've never achieved in NAQP RTTY.  This is the first
time for me over 700 QSO's but I missed my 2002 multiplier total by 9.

Thanks to everyone for the QSO's.  It was a LOT of fun, especially early on 20
and 15 meters when I had 108 QSO's the first hour, 84 the 2nd hour and 66 the
3rd hour.  I then had 107 QSO's combined on 40 and 80 meters from 0100-0200Z.
It was fun.

73, Don AA5AU