[RTTY] Help with keeping RF out of PC

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Mon Jan 10 12:15:39 EST 2005

I had a little, um, "incident" a while back (T-day weekend) which caused
me to have to replace the Athlon/Abit KT7A combo with a Duron/Soyo Dragon
somethingorother.  Everything works, but now the MMTTY engine (under N1MM
Logger) will stop decoding and lockup.

I sent the MMTTY error message to the MMTTY list but since it only seems
to occur on transmit, the conclusion seems to be that RF is getting into
the PC.

My thinking is that it's the soundcard itself, since 1) I can still
transmit after MMTTY goes QRT (IC746PRO in FSK via RB+) and 2) when I
re-init the digital interface window in N1MM Logger MMTTY sometimes can't
open the soundcard (per the dialog that pops up).

It should be mentioned that I rerouted and generally tidied up cabling
behind the desk in the radio room at the same time I was doing the
rebuild, so it's entirely possible that this is part of my problem.

So, what I need is a primer on keeping RF out of the PC.  Pointers?
Ideas?

Peter Laws
N5UWY/9
ARRL VE