[RTTY] Help with keeping RF out of PC

Hadi Teichmann dj2pj at t-online.de
Thu Jan 13 04:31:49 EST 2005

Hi everyone!

Grounding a computer (or whatsoever) does not necessarily mean grounding
it from an RF-standpoint. And this is the more true the higher the
interfering frequency is. Ground rods etc. are in the most cases too far
away from components of your station, so that connecting wires possibly
tend to function as radiators (with standing waves on them) rather than
being ground wires for RF. John's advice may help - maybe it doesn't, or
makes it even worse.

Please, first of all determine (after being sure (!) that the blocked
programme IS caused by RFI):

1 Does it occur on all or on certain bands/frequencies? If yes, what is
the _lowest_ frequency on which the interference occurs?

2 Does it occur on only one band/frequency?

If 1: Connect a wire of a quarter-wavelength of the lowest interfering
frequency (e.g. for 40 metres, the wire would be 10 metres long) to the
ground connection of your transceiver. If this only cures the 40-mtr
interference, also cut quarter-wave wires for the bands which still
interfere (they normally don't..., one wire should be enough).

If 2: Do the same with a wire of a quarter-wavelength of the interfering
frequency.

The wire(s) can find its/their place anywhere in your shack, even
bending around the room corners is allowed. They are not extremely
critical in length. It goes without saying, that you should NOT ground
the end of these wires! They are "hot" from an RF-standpoint. (I realize
that wires lying somewhere in a room can lead to constant conflicts with
housewives and the cleaning personnel...)

I assume that your computer has a short galvanic (!) connection to the
transceiver, linear, matchbox, or what else you are using for
transmission. I also assume that you have inserted an RF power line
filter in the main power line from your station to the outlet (or a
filter in each power line).

Did you ever try to find out if there were standing waves on the antenna
low-impedance feedline? If there were, measures should be taken to
especially improve this situation.

Giving remote advice (wthout having a closer look at the setup in your
shack and making certain tests and measurements) is always a bit
dubious. I feel sorry about that.

73 Hadi DJ2PJ