[RTTY] Green Keys vs. PSK31 - One man's opinion

gdadx2 at earthlink.net gdadx2 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 21:34:41 EST 2005

HI Scott,

I began my RTTY-ing back in 1981, so does that make me an old timer?
Actually, I ran RTTY in the USAF from 1968 -1972 on the old clunkers and
oilers.   But as far as Ham Radio is concerned, I began in 1981.

My first RTTY gear was a Robot 800 keyboard with an 9-inch black and white
monitor.  From there I went to the Commodore 64 system and related
internfaces and software cartridges, etc etc.   I never really had an elmer
for RTTY, but instead just researched it all on my own and learned quite a
bit about it.

Finally I graduated to a PC and have used just about every piece of software
and hardware available.

I do think the soundcard modes brought out many new RTTY ops who were indeed
unfamiliar with this mode, but I believe this injection of new blood was not
only great for the digital modes but ham radio in general.

As for PSK, I have always thought it was novel, but a step backwards
actually.  Yes it is good for low power and is narrow, but I always liked
the linked modes better, such as Pactor, Amtor, and my favorite of all --
CLOVER!

MFSK blows PSK away when it comes to copying though QRM..  However, with
PSK, you can almost certainly find some signals to copy due to its
popularity, not necessarily because it is so great of a mode.   I must admit
I detest the droning tone of a PSK signal... nothing like the soft purring
of a Clover QSO!   Anyway, to each his own... enjoy all the modes.

73 and diddle diddle,
Buddy, WB4M