[RTTY] W7LD & RTTY

Jack West w7ld at olypen.com
Wed Jan 19 22:55:25 EST 2005

I am coming up on 50 yrs of continuous activity in ham radio.  I got started in RTTY
when I was given a free Commodore C-64 and MBA-TOR cartridge for the game slot.
I used a five inch black and white TV for a monitor screen,  (still got it)
Two things interested me in RTTY.  The first was those RTTY auto mailboxes.  I remember
the use of the four n's (NNNN) that closed the files.   It was fun to get on frequency and
leave and pick up messages left from my buddy in Montana.   The second thing that
interested me were those neat RTTY PIX we sent at 100 baud using all the keys including
the punctuation.   Some of those pix were pretty innovative.  I wonder if there is a source
for any of those today.  I filled the RATTS RTTY net NCS slot every Thursday since summer
of 1988 until last month.  I did my first RU contest in 1994 and have continued each year
until 2005 where I am trying to recover from colon surgery.  I just couldnt stand the pain
of sitting out here in the shack this year.   I worked a few however.  RTTY is my favorite
mode.  I work all the digital modes including SSTV.  I am guilty of using macros...but I
real time keyboard when  macros are used up.  I have had RTTY ragchews of
several hours at times.  I really enjoy this reflector.
Have fun guys...
73
de Jack / W7LD / "Lucky Dog"