[RTTY] Re: Contest Happenings??

Art Searle W2NRA w2nra at optonline.net
Tue Jan 25 07:44:28 EST 2005

Hi Shelby,

Shelby Summerville wrote:

> Personally, I fail to see any reason to acknowledge the "other station's"
> report: "N5UWY/9 TNX 555 UR 181 181 181 de AA5VU"? Your reply to me, without
> any "again, NR, etc", tells me that you have copied, and are satisfied with,
> what I sent? The inclusion of an RST, in a contest that doesn't require one,
> is simply a waste of time, for both stations? Depending on conditions, I
> use:
> CR XX3XX exchange exchange CR
> or
> CR XX3XX exchange exchange exchange exchange QSL??CR
>
> The "CR" is far more important, for me, than the repeated exchange, as it
> will get the exchange on a "new" line, without all the "mess"?

I respectfully and vehemently disagree with you.  I am fairly new to
contesting and still casual at it.  And my current station is a very
modest one as I chose not to have an amp for household (read:
mother-in-law) tranquility.  I frequently have to repeat my call and my
report especially when conditions are poor.  When a station doesn't
acknowledge my report with at least a "TU" I am not sure if the station
has just given up on me or if I'm in the log.  If I think I am not in
the log I am likely to delete the contact and THE STATION WITHOUT THE
ACKNOWLEDGMENT IS NOT IN MY LOG.  BTW I do submit every log, no matter
how small.  Does that change your mind about a simple "TU?"

In serial number contests when I don't get an acknowledgment I can wail
for the next contact to see if the serial number has advanced but there
are a lots of contests that don't have serial numbers.

73,
Art
W2NRA