[RTTY] HAL ST-8000 and 6000 vs. Sound Cards

psussman at pactor.com psussman at pactor.com
Sat Jan 29 09:23:29 EST 2005

I agree with Chen to the extent that software solutions can rival fixed
hardware boxes... and in certain case with a lot of 'tweaking' exceed
them.

Unfortunately reality is a different teacher. A quick tune across the
band will verify that many software solution users are not set up
properly. This leads to all sorts of on-the-air problems, as we all know.
That's not to say the HAL, KAM, and PTC boxes are not all properly
installed and set up, either. Rather that TNCs are easier to set up
because they come with instructions while software stuff requires a lot
of patience or a dedicated Elmer to get it right.

Any comments?

Phil Sussman
Clayton, Ohio