[RTTY] RttyCompare

Jerry Flanders jeflanders at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 23:02:51 EST 2005

Hello Alex

Can you distribute the simulated audio files?

I have WSCGen, PathSym, and RttyCompare working fine. I can generate audio
files and add the distortion effects to them with PathSim. Amazing how
genuine the flutter effects sound!

I couldn't get Virtual Audio Cable 2.04 installed under XP Pro, so
downloaded the current V3.something, which appears to work, but I have no
confidence in it because I can hear a buzzing in the RTTY audio files when
I route them through it. No buzzing otherwise. I was finally able to patch
a file through it and into MMTTY and see copy (even with the buzz) , so I
am encouraged that this is going to be a valid test procedure when I learn
all the tricks and eliminate the buzz.

Since I have two sound cards in the computer my next step will be to try to
avoid using VAC (and the buzzing) by just patching externally from one card
to the other with a hardware cable. A guy with two computers could also
just patch between them in the same way. (Guys with just one standard
computer could probably play the files into an external audio recorder and
then feed it back into the program under test via the sound card .)

In the process of learning how to use the various pieces, it occurred to me
that if you just packaged and distributed the final path-simulated audio
files, it would cut out much of the work and uncertainty for the test
preparation process. It would also cut out many hours of the next guy
trying to learn to use WSCGen, Pathsim, and VAC and possibly coming up with
bad data due to a preparation error of some kind. Having standardized audio
files ready to go should also help to standardize the tests.

Jerry W4UK