[RTTY] USB to Serial FSK experiment/observations

Ralph D'Andrea info at gjbiz.com
Thu Jun 23 10:03:42 EDT 2005

I'd like to confirm Ben's observations with a successful experiment of my
own.

I have a Compaq V2030 notebook with no serial ports, running Windows XP
Home SP-2.  Purchased two Sabrent model SBT-USC1K USB->Serial cables from
NewEgg for $9.99 each (TigerDirect has the same cables for the same price
but shipping was $1 more).  These are basic el-cheapo adapters based on
the Prolific chipset.
I downloaded and installed the newest Prolific drivers per Ben's
instructions (I did not bother installing the drivers that came with the
cables).  Works FB on FSK with no tweaking thru my homebrew interface
(PTT=RTS, FSK=TxD) using N1MM/MMTTY Engine/EXTFSK.  The other one works FB
for rig control of my TS-570.