[RTTY] getting started again

Tom Osborne w7why at verizon.net
Tue Jun 28 21:21:44 EDT 2005

Boy, that's a tough one.  I used one of those years ago, but forgot more
than I now know.  The loop supply needs to be about 100 volts DC at 60ma.
You need a meter to be able to set the current right.  The Hal ST-6  used to
have a RS-232 port to connect it to the computer.   Other than that, you
need some sort of opto-isolator to keep the loop voltage out of the
computer.

If you have a computer already, the easiest way would be to download MMTTY
and use the sound card in the computer.  I would say probably 99.9% of the
RTTY'ers are now using sound card setups.  With all the freeware out there,
it is a simple matter to get on RTTY.  It would be a lot easier than trying
to use the model 15.  An interface is really simple to build--some plugs, a
transformer and a 2n2222 transistor is about all it takes.  73 and GL

Tom W7WHY