[RTTY] Very happy with Orion for RTTY

Wesley Cosand wes.cosand at verizon.net
Wed Mar 30 22:44:00 EST 2005

I recently bought the Orion, primarily for digital use with some
CW.  Bought the full set of roofing filters but usually leave the 1000 hz
selected and use the excellent DSP filters to cut out my neighbors.  It is
a joy to just dial in the lower and upper sides of the band pass around the
tones you are trying to copy.

The software isn't mature yet, and that can be frustrating.  But I am at
peace that Ten Tec will eventually get it fixed.  But in the meantime it
certainly is fun to use.  It replaced a Paragon and I haven't used other
high end rigs.

I am running FSK with MixW for conversational RTTY.  My tests show these
software demodulators are very good.  My Hal ST-8000 is in the basement.

Wes, WZ7I