[RTTY] Comments on "RigExpert"

Neal Campbell nealk3nc at peoplepc.com
Wed May 11 16:07:34 EDT 2005

I owned a Rigexpert for about 6 months.

I use MixW as my primary 'non-contest' setup. The device integrates very
well with MixW as you would expect. It has a neat feature that lets you
connect your rig/rigexpert on one computer, run MixW on a separate computer
(like you laptop in the living room) and it all works great.

At the time I had it, I was also using a Santa Cruz soundcard and a HAL
DXP38 (on rtty).

I certainly saw no big degradation nor huge improvement of the rigexpert
over the other two digi inputs. The software that makes the rigexpert look
like a 'soundcard' when not using MixW never felt quite right to me. Hence,
its optimized for MixW and it well should be since that's who makes it.

I remember not being happy with the cw keyer but cannot remember why. I am
sure  those who know me will question when I ever tried it HI!

I ended up selling it because I probably play more in contests than casual
PSK qsos and its just more natural to use a real soundcard. I suspect that
the lack of clutter and a 'one box does all' approach is the real selling
point of the rigexpert. I certainly don't think it can justify a huge
performance boost.

By the way, I now own a Microham Microkeyer and it's a real keeper.
Incredibly confusing on getting it set up for the first time, but after that
it's a pure delight.