[RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 29, Issue 16

KO1H KO1H at cox.net
Mon May 16 11:45:40 EDT 2005

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 22:39:46 -0400
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr at arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Delete, if you're not going to Dayton
To: Shelby Summerville <k4ww at arrl.net>
Cc: RTTY Reflector <rtty at contesting.com>

On May 15, 2005, at 4:12 PM, Shelby Summerville wrote:

> Mike and George will
> cover "getting started on RTTY", and "getting started in RTTY
> contesting"!
> Hardly sufficient time to cover these topics, in depth, but it's a
> start.
> This is possibly the first RTTY presentation, at the Dayton contesting
> forum?

I wish Mike and George the best, I hope the hall is completely full.

I will say, as a relative newcomer to RTTY, that getting started is a
teeny bit hard since there are nearly no RTTY signals on the air
(unless it is a RTTY contest weekend). There seems to be a fair
amount of PSK31, some AMTOR, PACTOR, and something weird that sounds
like a sick flute player. But few RTTY signals.

Bill My answer to this call CQ.  I know I have the "north East advantage,
But when I was working out getting fsk working between my 1000MP and
computer. I just called cq with my quad pointed into Europe and found I had
it working when a  very small pile up occurred. But it does work.  I've been
known to CQ into dead bands, well Call me crazy but.....

I love rtty, I have always since I heard my first Model 19 clanging away at
W1KMV (the University of Rhode island ARC)  It has been part of the hobby
that has changed so much for me over the years. Going from things like the
Model 19 we restored @w1kmv,
Great TNC's like the KAM and HAL.  And now how easy we have it with Sound
card programs etc.  The great thing about rtty is even though the way me
make and print the tones may have changed its still rtty and it still sounds
sweet.

Cu in the next contest or give a call on 14.085 or 21.085 ya never know who
might come back.

de John KO1H

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901