[RTTY] Logging Question & Post Contest Thought

Doug McDuff w4ox at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 1 09:38:11 EDT 2005

Operating as KG4OX during the CQWW, I all too frequently was asked
for my state.  In fact, so many times so that I had to make up a
special macro to address the issue.

Now I understand that there could have been some confusion with the
FCC having issued KG4xxx calls, but I found this to be very curious
nonetheless for at least two reasons.  First (and assuming my
exchange was properly copied) my zone was given as 8.  Second, and at
least in using WL, when a KG4xx call was entered it should have
automatically populated the entry window with Guantanamo.  In fact,
during a lull in the contest I tested this out and also tried it
using a KG4xxx call and it was only with the 2x3 call that I would be
required to fill in the state.  So, I was more than mildly curious as
to why this would have happened on such a frequent basis.  Any thoughts?

Also, I found that over time there appeared a pattern as to when I
was likely to have to request repeats.  The exchange usually went like this:

		KG4OX KG4OX KG4OX de xx1xx

Now clearly I knew my own call, although there were a few slips
outside the contest when I was near asleep and on CW where I started
to send W4OX.  Almost without fail, I could clearly print my own call
but the call of the station calling me would get garbled.  In a few
instances, and I apologize for doing so, I had to give up and move on
to someone else because I just could not print the call when only
given once.  At least to me, it would have been far more productive
for the station(s) calling me to send their callsign several times to
get my attention.

73, Doug W4OX / KG4OX

PS  I want to take this opportunity to publicly thank John, WA9ALS,
for his invaluable help prior to the contest.  My trip to KG4 was a
near last minute situation.  John, via email, patiently walked me
through setting up and using MMTTY with WL.  Further, John
volunteered to ship to me his interface and cables for use with the
706.  I was glad to be able to take them with me.  They will now be
carefully re-packed and returned to him.  Thanks John!