[RTTY] GU0SUP SOABLP JARTS RTTY

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Mon Oct 17 13:05:17 EDT 2005

Hello one and all!

I really didn't have the right frame of mind when I started this contest. I
had had a bad week at work, I broke a tooth on Thursday evening and couldn't
get a dental appointment till today (Monday), and I felt very tired, so I
had a lay-in on Saturday morning.
However, when I switched on the rig and found many JA stations on 15m,
things started to look better.
Had a ball for a couple of hours then called CQ on 20m, but suffered what I
can only describe as deliberate and intentional QRM. There were two tones,
but no diddle, and they went off each time I was receiving a report.
I managed to work through most of it, but it almost ruined the copy from
ZL3JT, but I did get it in the end.
After that QSO, I walked away in disgust, and went and did a few chores to
keep the XYL happy. She wasn't best pleased when she realised it was another
contest weekend, as she had plans for me and a bit of DIY!

Came back after lunch and spent most of the time S&P on the bands, picking
up the mults, and also enjoying an excellent opening to West Coast
USA/Canada. It was great to work so many W6/7 stations, most of whom were
really quite strong here, and with no flutter.
I gave up again around tea-time, as there was a nice steak and a bottle of
good red wine on the table, and any thoughts of going back after tea went
with the third glass of wine!

Got up early (around 0500UTC) on Sunday morning, and was a little surprised
not to hear any W's on 80m. It was mostly EU stations, but I did manage
7X0RY for a new one on that band. Went to 40m, and found a couple of W's
there, and even got called by a few after our sunrise.
After that, it was a mix of S&P and sessions of CQ. I did spend a good while
watching 10m, and working what was available when it came up, so I probably
lost a couple of hours activity on other bands, but to work any, you had to
wait.
Got called by some good DX, such as OX/DL7WB, and SV9FBK, and others. Missed
KG6DX though, but saw him S&P on Saturday with a huge signal.
By Saturday evening, I had 9 call areas on 15m and 20m, lacking only W5.
Managed KB5BOB on Sunday, but should have asked him to QSY for that final
mult for me.

Overall, I managed three new band slots, which was pleasing! 7X0RY on 80,
3A2MW on 40m and R1ANF on 15m.

I had a quick play with the stats, and found this:
Oldest was 79 (OK2BMC)
Youngest was 14 (KC2NMZ)
Mean age was 52 (my age!)
Most common age was 49

Anyway, here is my claimed score:
 	 QSOs	Points	DX:	Call Areas
80m: 	12	25	8	0
40m:	68	147	29	4
20m:	287	663	48	21
15m:	141	366	37	18
10m:	42	95	14	2
Total:	550	1296
Total multipliers:	181
Score:		234576
Station Description: IC756Pro + 60W CQ, and 100W S&P
Antenna(s): MQ1 mini-beam 10/15/20 and inverted L for 40/80
Op time about 20 hours

So, despite not feeling good about the contest, I ended up with my best ever
JARTS result. I now wish I had done a bit more!

Thanks to all for the contacts, especially those I had to struggle with!
My log is now on LoTW, but I am happy to QSL via the bureau or direct if
needed.

73 all

Phil GU0SUP