[RTTY] RTTY Interference to Hurricane Rita Ops

g.m.mcadams@comcast.net g.m.mcadams at comcast.net
Sat Sep 24 09:35:29 EDT 2005

Don,

This is the kind of response that we often get from non-contest operators.

I cannot understand why the emergency operations are not being carried out on the 60 meter band. Is that not why it was parceled out in the first place? I have been on the road a lot in the last few weeks and have not had access to a reciever. Maybe someone else out there can tell the group what kind (if any) of emergency operations are being carrried out on 60 meters?

For the non-phone Emergency operations, why are they not on 30 meters? 30 is a very viable back-up to the 40 meter band.

What we have here, really, is an example of the LACK of emergency planning and ability on the part of the so-called emergency operators.

1. No back up plan to QSY to another band or frequency in the event of QRM or propogation issues.

2. Old radios that have no provision for newly added emergency bands, and apparently little or no filtering.

3. Even older operators who insist on a "guard band" around their special frequency because they need a quiet band just to hear the traffic.
    ( See Item 2, above).

4. They have forgotten that our FCC will have little or no influence on an international contest.

At any rate, while I am not currently in the test, due to travel, I can understand the issues on both sides, but these stubborn fellows need to follow the contest example and have a backup plan and use it. If the QRM is too heavy in one band/freq, then move! is this too hard to understand?!

That's what the contesters do; why can't the net ops do the same? I'll bet that there are plenty of wide open spaces lower in the band.

Don, this fellow apparently took no time to research RTTY operations in general and your situation in particular.

Our thoughts are with you, and all the other folks now affected by Katrina and Rita.

BTW, I did not CC this fellow, as it would be a waste of time trying to convince him to see a wider view of the world. Despite his or others complaints, the CQ Worldwide (and I emphasise WORLDWIDE) RTTY test will continue, with or without our FCC's approval.

73 Gary WG7X