[RTTY] RTTY Interference to Hurricane Rita Ops

Joe Subich, W4TV k4ik at subich.com
Sat Sep 24 11:23:20 EDT 2005

John,

Slow down a minute ... anybody that tries to ride a bicycle on
an interstate and then complains about the semi-tractors running
him down has a problem.  That's exactly what this guy is doing.

I listened to 7050 early yesterday evening and the strong
stations were the Europeans and South Americans.  There were
relatively few "big signal" US stations around 7050.

Part of emergency preparedness is planning - for a Michigan CW
net to expect a 10 KHz wide "clear channel" in the middle of
the Region 1/3 "RTTY Window" in the middle of an international
RTTY contest is the absolute height of arrogance.  A local or
regional net could certainly operate between 7090 and 7150
without any compromise.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV