[RTTY] Post-contest thoughts

Wolf, DL6JZ dl6jz at t-online.de
Mon Sep 26 13:36:58 EDT 2005

I am sure there are more than 2 reasons for a dupe.

3. Only one operator logged the first QSO and the other didn't (and
therefore several reasons exist again).
4. I tune into a rtty signal and I see a call sign on my screen witch is
highlighted as a needed station. I call the station and while my call is
going out I see that this callsign on my sreen has several versions. The
highlighted is the wrong one. The other is correct but no highlighted at
all, sorry.

When I am CQing and get a call for a dupe I don't answer but make a new
short CQ call. If it was reason 4. the caller will see what happened and
will move on. If he calls again I work him.

But the most impressive situation with DUPE OR NOT TO DUPE I had in the last
contest. A well known RTTY contester from W3-land was CQing. I called him
because it was a needed call. After my call he came back with "DL6JZ QSO B4
ON 20 M". I answered: "NOT IN MY LOG, SRI". Then there was a break and after
a while I got the message, that our QSO was at xx:yy Z and I should add it
to my log. That all took about 2 minutes, enough for 2 or 3 QSOs. I went
away and have no QSO with this station in my log on 20 M.

73 + 55
Wolf, DL6JZ