[RTTY] Have RTTY ops become SSB ops?

va3dx at sympatico.ca va3dx at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 13 23:57:30 EST 2006

Subject: Re: [RTTY] Have RTTY ops become SSB ops?

> > RTTY ops didn't used to act like this.
> > That's why I like(d) RTTY.  What happened?
>
> Lots of factors, some having nothing to do with ham radio.
>
> Common courtesy - or lack thereof.

I agree

> Our wired, fast-paced society encourages people to do things quickly.
Stepping
> on others isn't seen as much of a problem.

I agree

> Packet lets everyone know right away where the DX is and where s/he's
> listening.  Instant pileup.  No need for DX training or pileup obedience
> school, just follow the spots.  Spots let you "hear" the DX, even if your
radio
> can't.

Disagree, dont blame the packet network, BLAME THE OPERATOR,
he is the one who calls constantly ... I have packet running and I
pride myself on standingby everytime the DX answers someone else.
> DXCC Challenge.  Need to get all those band/modes confirmed.

disagree, again poor operators make the qrm, not some piece of paper..

> RTTY is 10x easier to get on now than it was 10 years ago.  So more
calling.

More calling cant be avoided, poor operating practises could. Wonder how
many of these op's spent time as a SWL ... or spent any time learning
radio courtesy prior to getting on the air...
> Pileup character follows the same bell curve as other modes - poor to
excellent
> operators.

Correct.... Glenn VA3DX  VE3ICR  swl - VE3PE2GE ( 1960 - 1976 )