[RTTY] 3Y0X

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sat Feb 11 15:37:33 EST 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 10:42 AM, John- W4DJ wrote:
> Not many EU or SA stations got through because many Big Gun NA
> stations
> calling and it was a wall.

Not just EU and SA, but this small USA station (100 watts, vertical
on 17m) had trouble getting through because of the big guns!

At one point around 2300z, their signal dropped below reliable
printing for me, so I stopped trying and almost gave up for another
band and another day.

Fortunately, about an hour later they became printable again.

I found him working PY2BU, who was weak here -- but I had a partial
print of BU's signal to identify 3Y0X's receive frequency.

My QSO followed the SA station -- so all the retired big guns must
have been satiated by that point to allow a SA and a USA peanut
whistle to get through ("exceptio probat regulam in casibus non
exceptis" :-).

It was not too long after that when they went QRT, which is a pity
for the Pacific Northwest since their 17m signal was still building
up at that time.

By W9OL's estimate, I must have been close to the last person on
earth who operates RTTY :-) :-)

To the non-big guns... GL and don't give up.  They have very good
"ears" on RTTY.  That place must be devoid of local noise.  Even if
you are only partially printing them, try anyway.  Chances are that
you will be perfectly printing to them if they can find you.  Get
right on top of their QSX if you think you are weak to them, since
they may just tune past you among the din if you call randomly.

73
Chen, W7AY