[RTTY] Station upgrade

Robert Chudek k0rc at citlink.net
Fri Feb 24 16:57:26 EST 2006

Tom,

Let's see... you mentioned you really missed the AMP twice... and you really liked your '450 once...

I would suggest you could do both within your budget... That is, upgrade your FT-840 to another TS-450 and purchase a used amp too. You would then have two identical transceivers. You would have a better FSK rig, less feature confusion, less wiring headaches, and better troubleshooting if something wasn't working right on one radio or the other. You could hook up the amp to your "favorite" radio.  :-)

I have been following eBay as I'm looking for another rig myself. I see the FT-840 selling for about $500 and the Kenwood is pretty much in the same range. You might be able to do a "swap" for a one or two hundred buck plus your time & effort.

Then with the remaining $800 of funds you could pick up an AL-80, a pretty standard design with a single 3-500 tube. That would get you 500 watts of RTTY (and a KW on other modes). There's one for sale right now on eBay item: 5871176502. An AL-80B recently sold for $760 eBay item: 5865555827.

For my new station I have the IC-756 Pro III and QRO HF-2500DX. I am looking for another set of this equipment. I will be selling my Kenwood TS-950SDX (filtered up), the SM-230 monitor, and TL-922A to help offset the cost. I also have an IC-2KL that will go on the auction block soon. My new ham shack is not finished yet, so I have time to cruise looking for this equipment.

73 de Bob - K0RC

Message: 4